Thursday, March 28, 2013

Wedding Planning Checklist: Finding the perfect DJ

Ask anyone who knows me, I love to dance.  Well, depending on who you ask they might say I love jumping up and down and spinning around, but hey we all have different definitions of "dancing."  So naturally, the most important thing on my check list (aside from venue and date) is finding the PERFECT DJ for the event. 

Before I left for Colorado, I e-mailed a few different DJs to see what their availability was and to get the process started.  I came back to their responses, and replied with the general message of
"I'm sorry for the delay in my response, but I was in Colorado with my family on vacation for the week.  I'm back now so let me know when you can chat!"
A few called, a few e-mailed back and one asked if he could call me last Friday at 6 when I got out of work.  I agreed and when the phone rang at 5:55 I was impressed by the fact that he was early, said hello and had the following conversation.

Me: Hello?
Him: Hi, this is Pat from the Colorado State Police, I believe you were here the other week and we need you to come back immediately.
Me: What?
Him: Yes you apparently had too much fun while you were here and I think you need to come back and have a little more.
*Quick note: My sister and I went out to a bar the last night we were there and i left my credit card at the bar.  Since we were leaving at 6am the next day I didn't have time to get it back so I just canceled my card.
Me: (starting to panic) Did you find my credit card?  Where did I leave it? 
Him: Yeah, we need you to come back immediately and retrieve it.
Me: (thinking I'm being arrested or something) Seriously?  I can't just pack up and come back to Colorado I live in MA. 
Him: Isn't it great to know you are talking to a DJ with a sense of humor?
Me: WHAT?!?!?!?! Holy Crap!!  So I'm not in trouble?

I'm sure there are some people who wouldn't find that funny or appreciate the crank call, but I LOVED it and was completely won over.  The rest of the conversation was very easy and not uncomfortable like it was with the other DJ.  So, we set a time for the following Wednesday (yesterday) at 5:30 for  Ian and I to meet with DJ Pat face-to-face. 

I went in knowing he was the one I wanted, and Ian was quickly won over as well.  This guy knows what he's doing, he's been to Church Landing so many times and knows both coordinators.  His price covers the ceremony, cocktail hour and the entire reception.  I'm so excited to have him on board, it's going to be an amazing par-tay!!!

One the way home, Ian and I are talking about the next steps and the next thing on my list is the photographer.  Now that I have the party down pat, I need someone who is going to capture it and make my kids go "wow mom, you looked amazing!"  Ian's main concern?
"When do we get to try the cakes and stuff?  That's what I'm talking about!"

Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment