Thursday, March 21, 2013

Eric Whitacre: Composer, Conductor, Cracking Jokes

For the past 6 months I have been bugging Ian to plan a date that didn't involve the following three things
  1. Pizza
  2. Movies
  3. Pizza
So, last month I'm at work and I received an IM from my lovely fiance saying he bought us tickets to go see Eric Whitacre, his favorite composer & conductor at the Boston Symphony House.  He was so excited and proud of himself, it was absolutely adorable!  Apparently he's been trying to see Whitacre perform for like 7 years but he's never gotten the chance. 

So, on Tuesday night I find myself getting all dolled up to head into Boston with Ian, and I'm craving some Melting Pot dessert.  Sadly we don't have time, which I guess is good for our wallets and my diet but still... chocolate covered bananas, marshmallows and cake sounds amazing at all times.

When I got the program, I noticed that we would be listening to a choir or the "Whitacre Singer" instead of the symphony I had been expecting... interesting.  I think the last time I heard an actual chorus perform was in high-school when I was in the band and we had a competition down in Disney and had to watch the choir perform.

Anyways, the lights dim and a man comes out who looks very much like David Spade; apparently lots of women find him attractive, no joke they went crazy for him like we were at a Backstreet Boys or *NSYNC concert.   I just didn't see it, he's too scrawny and blonde.  However, He's actually pretty funny as he introduces each song and I found myself drawn in to each piece, searching for the story and getting goosebumps from their beautiful voices.

Now, I'm not saying I'm not musically inclined (I can play both piano and clarinet, sight read and I love to sing in the car) but I just couldn't hear what Ian was telling me to listen for.  For one song, "Come Sweet Death" originally created by Bach, was played twice, once the way Bach had intended and another where the tempo was slower and everyone sang it at their own pace and used hand gestures while singing it.  I was so confused because all you hear is people singing "aaahhhh" on the same note and yet somehow they are going through the lyrics. 

After the song Ian looked at me and went "Wasn't that amazing?!?!?!?" I didn't know what to say... it sounded like they were warming up and doing some type of Taekwondo, not singing!  Apparently I'm not as refined as I thought!

The one song I was most excited for was "Animal Crackers", no not Shirley Temple's version (although I had hoped they would sing Animal Crackers in my Soup!).  The lyrics are funny on their own, but once the music began personality was added to each little poem and it was downright hysterical!

THE PANTHER
The panther is like a leopard,
Except it hasn’t been peppered.
If you behold a panther crouch,
Prepare to say Ouch.
Better yet, if called by a panther,
Don’t anther.

THE COW
The cow is of the bovine ilk;
One end is moo, the other milk.

THE FIREFLY
The firefly’s flame Is something for which science has no name
I can think of nothing eerier
Than flying around with an unidentified glow on a
Person’s posterior.
THE CANARY
The song of canaries
Never varies.
And when they’re molting
They’re pretty revolting.

THE EEL
I don’t mind eels
Except as meals.
And the way they feels.
 
THE KANGAROO
O Kangaroo, O Kangaroo,
Be grateful that you’re in the zoo.
And not transmuted by a boomerang
Into zestful tangy Kangaroo meringue.

Despite the fact that I don't have the same musical ear and appreciation as Ian does, this was a perfect date for us.  It reminded me that while we each like different things, it's important that we are able to share our interests with each other.  I love that we switched it up a little bit for this date and didn't go to the movies or a restaurant or order pizza and watch Duck Dynasty (Ian's current obsession). Now it's my turn to plan a date... stay tuned!





No comments:

Post a Comment