Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Shopping for Jeans: Should Size Matter

Feeling overweight started forever ago

Fact:  I am overweight
Fact: I've known this for a while
Fact: I've always tried to fool myself by trying on and squeezing my body into clothes that are too tight
Result: I feel gross and uncomfortable in 80% of all my clothes so I have no motivation to go out or get dressed up anymore

Side Note: I know this blog is supposed to be able Happy Golden Moments in my life and I'll get to that in a second, I just think a little background information makes my Golden Moment of the day make sense.

I've been "fat" for as long as I can remember and I've always compared my body to my sisters, who wouldn't?  The fact is that they received the "Skinny Genes" of the family.  My Proof?  My weight during my "in shape" days was 150, 10 pounds more than my sister during her heaviest period.  They've never made me feel uncomfortable intentionally, but it is so hard to hear them complain about their weight/body image, or watch them run around comfortable in a two piece or any of the cute outfits they look amazing in.

I've recently stopped fitting into all my jeans, and the ones I can wear are starting to tear and fall apart from too much use.  So I needed to go shopping and find new jeans stat.  The first time I stopped by the mall was with my boyfriend and after trying on 20 pairs of pants at the Gap, I swallowed tears of frustration and left without purchasing anything.

On my second trip to the mall it hit me, I can't fit into size 10 anymore, I need to accept the fact that right now I'm size 12 and maybe even a 14.  Once I accepted that fact, and started trying on size 12 instead of size 10, the jeans started fitting and my muffin top was taken down a few notches.  I left American Eagle with not one, but 3 pairs of jeans that fit like a glove, don't cut off my circulation and really compliment my butt.  Not only that but I can start wearing some of those shirt I purchased a few months ago and feel comfortable with my outfit of the day.


3 new pairs of pants from AE, Skinny Jeans included!

Now, does this mean I'm 100% okay with my size 12, 180 pound body?  Heck no, but I'm working on changing it and once I do I'll be super stoked to fit into size 10 (dare I dream to go down to an 8?) pants again.  Until then, I'm going to buy clothes that fit my body now, not worry about the actual size, and be happy with the way I look.  Confidence is key and I'm hoping it will motivate me to get back into the gym and continue eating healthy so that I can feel confident in a size 10 again.





No comments:

Post a Comment