Thursday, September 27, 2012

Bleeding Purple & Gold in Boston


 People aren't lying when they say that the years you spend in college are some of the best years of your life.  There is something truly magical about the time of your life between sitting at the kiddie table and hosting dinner parties.  It's a time for you to be independent and free but still have that safety net of your parents/family to be there if you need help.

The 4 years I spent at JMU contain some of my fondest memories, and man did I pack them in.  I hit the ground running Freshmen year and joined every group and organization possible.  By Senior year I was working 2 jobs, had an internship, was the Marketing Coordinator of TDU, Homecoming Marketing Co-Chair, VP of the Ski and Snowboarding Club, Co Captain of an ASB program and the list goes on and on. 

However, when I graduated my superwoman days stopped and my responsibilities dwindled down to one, my job.  I cannot tell you how many times I hear myself bragging about my "JMU Glory Days" and telling people how awesome I was back then.  What do I do now?  I'm an Account Manager and I sign up for the occasional race, that's it.

 Back in June I saw a LinkedIn post about someone trying to set up a JMU Alumni Networking event in Boston.  I jumped right onto it and the event was a success, bringing more than 30 Dukes together at Tia's and then again for a football viewing party.  

Showing our JAC Cards during the WVU v JMU viewing party





























After a few phone calls with the JMU Alumni office, the JMU Boston Alumni group has been rebuilt and I've moved into the role of the Executive Director.  So now, once a month I'll be meeting with the other officers to plan social and networking events and singing the JMU Fight song.  It feels wonderful to be busy after work and have an "extra curricular" again.  I'm excited and ready to let all of Boston know that we bleed purple!










No comments:

Post a Comment