Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Perfect Proposal: The happiest day of my life!



Newly Engaged and SOOO HAPPY!!!

Words cannot describe the moment when you realize your childhood dreams are coming true.  That instant when all those advertisements, romantic comedies and chick flicks pale in comparison to the events leading up to one of the happiest moments of my life.  It was perfect!

Back in June, I received this notification from Groupon for a Whale Watch for two.  I figured it would be a great date for Ian and I, since it would get us out of the apartment and enjoying life in Boston.  After several planned dates, we finally made reservations for October 14th.  Ian came home from work around 5am and got about 3 hours of sleep before jumping in the car to drive up to Gloucester.  On the way it started pouring:

Ian: Do you think they would cancel the Whale Watch?
Me: No, I bet they go out all the time with the rain.  It might make for a better trip with the whales
Ian: Really?  You might want to call and check.

Me: Fine... (get out my phone mumbling)... Hello?  Hi, I made a reservation for the Whale Watch today and I was just calling to make sure it was still happening.
Women on line (Emily): Actually I was just about to call everyone and let them know it has been canceled, I'm sorry.
Me: Crap! We had a groupon and it expires at the end of the month.  Is there anything we can do to extend it?
Emily: You can use it next year, just make a note saying you spoke to me and they should let you use it next June.
Me: Awesome, thanks!  (to Ian) So the bad news is, no whale watch, the good news is that we don't lose out on the Groupon!
Ian: Well what do you want to do now?

Me: Since we are meeting up with the family later for apple picking, why don't we just go back to the apartment?  I'll get the laundry done, I need to clean the bathroom, we can go grocery shopping and then head out.
The Beach where it all went down!
Ian: Babe, it's my day off I don't want to spend it in the apartment, let's go do something in Gloucester. (became very silent for the rest of the car ride)

So, we ended up going to Good Harbor Beach in Gloucester for a quick walk.  Somehow the weather cleared up as soon as we got there and the rain stopped.  MAGIC!!  We got out of the car and walked to the beach:
Ian: It really sucks that our plans either get cancelled or changed all the time
Me: I know, but this isn't so bad it's kind of nice out and we have the beach to ourselves.
Ian: True, but I think we need to make plans that can't be changed
The ring, My hands are gross looking but it was freezing!
Me: (thinking YAY a vacation!!!!) What did you have in mind?  (Cruise, Florida, Bahamas?!?!?!)
Ian: What do you say to spending the rest of our lives together? (gets down on one knee)

Me: ?!?!?!?!?! (tears forming, heart racing, smiling like a crazy person)
Ian: Kendra Bassi will you marry me?
Me: YESSSSSSS!!!!!


From there we began calling everyone we knew to let them know the good news!  Apparently my sisters knew what was going on and Ian had planned on doing it that day because we would be seeing everyone later to celebrate, and pick apples and pumpkins of course!!

My amazing family

Sisters and Ian, welcoming the first guy in to the clan!
I Absolutely Love Him!!!
All the "Kids" in the apple orchard





We went back to Diana's place for dinner and some celebratory drinks after apple picking.  But, they had a surprise waiting for us, a delicious Red Velvet Cake!
Yay Red Velvet Cake!
He actually "missed" and hit my face instead!

 But... the surprises don't end there.  We got back home to the apartment around 10:30 and on the steps, waiting for us was our first Engagement/Wedding present! We had bumped into our landlords on our way back from the beach and told them the amazing news.  They then went out and got us a very nice bottle of Italian Sparkling Wine and a really cute card.  I absolutely LOVE these two and it was a great way to end a perfect day.


The Wine and Card from our landlords!












No comments:

Post a Comment